Friday, 22 January 2016

Research and Planning: Music Videos

Three bands I would consider using:

Queen
Oasis
Nizlopi
The Kaiser Chiefs

My reasoning for choosing Queen is that I really enjoy their music, plus I find their songs catchy and easy to listen to.  I find that you can be creative when making a music video for their songs because they are quite original and unique.  When I watched their videos I admired the positive feel that their music has, also they are very popular with all age groups.

They first started out as a British rock band in the 1970's.  The band consisted of four members which were Freddie Mercury, Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon.  The genre they associate with is rock and they are still active to this present day.

- Don't Stop Me Now

Don’t Stop Me Now reminds me of someone going about their usual day but trying to prevent everyday situations from going wrong.  I was thinking of filming a stop-motion animation of handmade characters using clay and pipe cleaners to make them more mobile and using a series of large boxes as the set for each scene.  I would have to calculate how many shots I would need to fill the length of the song, and I know that it is 24 shots per second.  I could even shoot some real life footage to give a bit of variety.


and I Want To Break Free

I Want to Break Free would open the opportunity for me to create a video based on the idea of someone feeling trapped.  On the other hand, I could also create a video using the idea from my video idea for Don’t Stop Me Now with clay and shoe boxes as the set.

Oasis 
The band originated in Manchester in 1991 and developed from an earlier band The Rain.  The genre that they identify with are rock, Britpop and neo-psychedelia.  They were active until 2009 and consisted of five members. 

Another band I was thinking of doing was Oasis though the only song I enjoy is The Importance of Being Idle.  I feel that the singing constants with the heavy beats of the instruments.  It isn’t necessarily the most upbeat song but I find that most people do enjoy it mostly because of the rhythm instead of the singing.  I also thought since the video was in black in white and I could copy that and use in the same sort of melancholy style.  The costumes consist of undertaker clothing, the location is either in a bedroom, on a common looking street and in an undertaker's shop.





My third band I was thinking of doing was Nizlopi.  They consist of two members (Luke Cocannon and John Parker).  They formed in 2003 and are still active to this present day.  The genres they identify with are folk and hip hop.

I would choose the song JCB by this band because it is done entirely without real people.  I think that the drawings in the video make it original and stand out from other music videos.  Also, most songs today are about love or money whereas this song is about someone's childhood and his bond with his dad.   There are no costumes, make-up or even a specific location because it is done all with stop-motion animation using a drawing.

The Kaiser Chiefs:

The Kaiser Chiefs originated from Leeds, West Yorkshire in England and the genres the band associates with are indie rock, post-punk revival and new wave.  The band formed in the year 2000 and are still active to this present day.

I eventually gave thought about using people in my music video.  I thought about the song Never Miss a Beat by the Kaiser Chiefs and I started mind-mapping an idea for my music video.  The lyrics made me think of a young teenage boy choosing between whether to make the most of his education or skip college and cause havoc with a group of friends.






No comments:

Post a Comment